Friday, August 28, 2009

Student Survey (part 3): Travel

Overall, my students tend to be fairly well traveled. I asked my morning homeroom if any of them had stayed in Hong Kong over summer vacation–oh, excuse me- holiday- and not one of them said yes.

When I asked them to list their favorite places they’d visited, not surprisingly, East Asia was well represented: Japan, Malaysia, Taiwan, Philippines, Thailand, China, and Korea -where several of my students have family ties.

China –especially Hong Kong- has had a long relationship with Australia -and to a lesser degree New Zeeland- which both made the list of favorites places.

Several of my kids listed European countries: Britain, France, The Netherlands, and the Czech Republic. (You have to figure that a thirteen-year-old kid who’s parents take him to the Czech Republic for summer holiday has pretty much been everywhere else.)

Canada -specifically Toronto and Vancouver- made the list.

And the U.S. was well represented. On the West Coast: San Jose, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Las Vegas. One boy selected Yellowstone and Carlsbad. Both Hawaii and Alaska were mentioned. New York was a favorite. And not surprisingly, Orlando/Disney was a top spot among several students.

No comments:

Post a Comment