Friday, August 28, 2009

Pastrami on Rye

Our school library is offering a special incentive for the month of September. If kids read a certain number of pages, they will be invited to a lunch-time sandwich party where the qualifying students will build for themselves fresh deli sandwiches with all the fixings.

(Deli sandwiches? Hey, reading by any means necessary.)

When I announced the program to my second period eighth-grade English class, the kids were all atwitter. I noticed that much of their chatter was directed toward David. Ooo, I go all excited: David must be quite the reader considering how all his classmates are responding. I interpreted their reaction to mean that David was a shoe-in for qualifying for the reward.

I said to the class, “Oh, David here is quite the reader, is he?”

“Oh no, Mr. VanNoord” they responded, “That's not it. It's just that he really, really, likes sandwiches.”

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment