Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Have You Left this Bag Unattended? 2 of 2

“What’s this?”

“Why that’s . . . an empty fizzy drink bottle with a marble in it.”

Okay, okay, on special occasions, we let Annika and Elise order this Japanese carbonated drink that comes in a glass bottle with a marble in it. I tried to throw the bottle out, but Elise really wanted to keep one as a souvenir.

“Ma’am, you have three copies of Inherit the Wind

“Why of course I do . . . I am bringing them home . . . to give as gifts . . . to friends.”

“Ma,am, what’s in this shoe box?”

“Well shoes of course . . . um, well I mean Christmas ornaments as you can plainly see.” Oops.

After hemming and hawing her way through the VanNoord’s bag of random stuff, they finally let her zip it up and be on her way.

I didn’t quite get everything into the suitcase that I had originally set aside. When I was in Indonesia, I found several large discarded pottery shards on the side of the road. I of course, picked them up and brought them back to Hong Kong. I am just glad that I hadn’t packed those. Thinking quick on your feet to explain away an empty glass bottle with a marble in it is one thing; explaining away large chunks of sharp pottery would be something different altogether.

-Jack

Over the last eighteen months –all of our visitors to Hong Kong have asked if there were anything they could bring us from The States. But if you come to Hong Kong in the next four months, you should really ask if there is anything you can bring back to The States for us. I will probably send you home with a full suitcase. But I promise to divulge in detail the contents of the suitcase. No surprises; I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment