Friday, March 18, 2011

Chi Lin Nunnery & Nan Lian Garden

The clock is ticking; no matter how busy I get, I can hear it in the background. I feel a certain urgency to do and see as much as we can before we leave in July. In my mind, I have list of the things I want to do before we go. I’ve taken to calling it my “bucket list.”

Every week for eighteen months now we’ve passed the Chi Lin nunnery and Nan Lian gardens on our way to church. From the window of the 682 bus, we can see the beautiful, dark wood buildings, the elaborate gardens, the bright reddish-orange bridge, and the golden pagoda. Every week for eighteen months, Julie has turned to me and said “We have got to visit there.”

This past Sunday was a beautiful, sunny spring day here in Hong Kong; so we decided that that day had come. After church, we spent two hours wandering the impeccably maintained, traditional Chinese gardens.

For a sprawling megalopolis, Hong Kong does an excellent job maintaining its green space. Lots of city parks; lot of well-maintained footpaths in the hills surrounding the city. But Hong Kong really only has one large-scale traditional Chinese garden and that is the one maintained by the nuns at the Chi Lin nunnery.

It was well worth the trip.

It was relaxing, peaceful, and long overdue.

I can now scratch that off of my list of things to do. Now I just need to find the time to get down to the much ballyhooed Happy Valley horse track.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment