Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dude, that Teal Brings Out Your Eyes 2 of 2

After we crossed the border, Bryan led me straight into the Lo Wu megamall complex which is the destination for most of my friends any time they go over the border: cheap massages, cheap custom-made clothes, cheap everything. Bryan was all business. He knew exactly where we were going. Out of the dozens and dozens of tailors, he led us right to his tailor. She greeted him by name. Her shop measured six by ten feet. Bryan and I squatted on little plastic stools and proceeded to flip through books of fabric swatches. Surprisingly, Bryan was honing in on a nice, subtle pin stripe in dark navy. I flipped through the sample books several times, but didn’t see anything that caught my eye.

The tailor proposed that the three of us go into the mall among all the fabric sellers and see if we could find something to my liking. Off we went in the maze of fabric sellers with their wares stacked well above my head. It was overwhelming. I didn’t know where to begin. But Bryan’s tailor gently led me to a booth with a nice selection. I saw some a nice mid-tone brown herringbone. I saw a very nice summer-weight wool in dark grey.

And then I saw it. Tuck behind some paisleys. A bolt of a large-pattern, burgundy, navy, and tan plaid. When I first laid eyes on it, the clouds parted and shaft of heavenly light illuminated it. I heard harp music. It was love at first sight.

I pulled out the bolt and handed it to the sales lady. Our tailor look at the sales lady, shrugged, and said “2.3 meters.”

It cost all of US$8.00.

Back in her tailor shop, I pulled out from my backpack the pair of pants I had brought from home. I handed them over to the tailor. “Same-same,” I instructed her; which is Shenzhen speak for “I want the new pair to match this pair exactly.”

I flipped through her fabric books and found some material for a shirt to match. I handed her the shirt I had brought from home, “Same-same.”

Up here in Shenzhen, it is strictly pay up front –in full. I handed her the equivalent of just over US$40 for the pants and the shirt.

They’ll be ready in ten days.

I will wear them with pride when I am back in Chicago. They will be my-custom-made-in-China pants. A nice keepsake.

I haven’t decided if I will wear them here at my school. If I do, I should probably have a t-shirt made up that I can wear with the pants that says “I went to Shenzhen with Bryan Thompson.” But then again, once my colleagues get a look at my pants, that might go without saying.

Jack

Tuesday, I shared this little story with some Irish acquaintances of mine. Halfway through the story, the husband turned to the wife and asked "plaid?"

She explained "tartan."

2 comments:

  1. Is there any way around the two-entry visa for US residents? Can you get a "business multiple-entry" visa for shopping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I -or anybody I know- have been able to figure out.

    ReplyDelete