Saturday, June 4, 2011

White Baby part 1 of 2

I think it may have cost me a friendship.

But it’s not my fault, I couldn’t help myself.


It had a been a great, fun-filled weekend, but by Sunday afternoon in the amusement park, we were all pretty wiped out. But the kids wanted to go on one more ride. So a few of us adults sat on low wall while the kids squeezed in one more ride on the tilt-a-whirl.


There are a lot of world-class attractions at the Chimelong Amusement park: rollercoasters, rides, and shows. But let me tell you what the number one attraction at the Chimelong Amusement park was last weekend.


My friend Amber’s kids are quite a bit younger than our girls, so we had been going on different rides all weekend. To be honest, I hadn’t spent much time with Amber and baby Malachi inside either of the parks. So I was a little surprised when I sat down on the ledge next to Amber and four-month-old Malachi. Passerbyers –especially young women- weren’t just stealing glances, they were gawking.


I was shocked. You would have thought this kid was John Bon Jovi. “Has it been like this all weekend?”


“Pretty much” Amber rolled her eyes. I knew that we were pretty deep into China, but come on people, please tell me you’ve seen a white baby before.


After about the eighth cluster of women walked and gawked their way passed us, I said more-or-less under my breath “Yeah, that’s right, we got a White Baby, right here.” Then I said it again. This time not so quietly and I did it while staring right back at the gawkers.


Then I found my rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment