Sunday, May 29, 2011

Pack Mule part 3 of 4

I looked up to see a guard pointing at me and saying something. I faked surprise and confusion and hustled back to the x-ray machine.

I pushed my way through the throng of commuters putting their bags on the conveyor built. I hoisted my heavy case onto the rollers and gave it a push. I followed the crowd to the other end of the conveyor belt and waited. I’m sure it was only a matter of seconds, but it seemed like minutes. I kept my eye on the opening were my case would eventually emerge. It rolled out. I grabbed it, dragged it off the conveyor belt, and proceeded on my way. If the guard didn’t like what he saw on the screen and was going to detain me, it was going to be right about now.

I took a deep breath and headed off with my case. I waited for someone to tap me on the shoulder or grab my arm. Just start walking, I told my legs. But not too fast. One step. Two steps. Three. Four. The crowd started to fan out.

I was clear.

I picked up my pace. I looked up and tried to orient myself. There was the duty-free cigarette stand. Over there was the currency conversion kiosk my host had mentioned which meant that the exit to the taxi stand should be around the next corner. I made my way outside where I saw the man and the women waiting at the pre-arranged spot next to the news stand. We quickly and quietly moved to a less conspicuous spot out of the flow of traffic. We continued to keep an eye on the news stand. We were waiting for the fourth and final member of our group.

She didn’t come. We waited. Five minutes turned into ten. “She must have been detained,” my host speculated.

No comments:

Post a Comment