Thursday, April 28, 2011

Enough Already

A central piece of my eighth-grade writing program is written teacher-to-student feedback and written student-to-student feedback. The kids are surprisingly good at giving each other insightful and constructive feedback. But, to be honest, some students are more helpful in their feedback than others.

Over the course of two months last quarter, my students wrote three short stories for me. By the time we are done writing and re-writing and proofing each others' writing, they had become pretty familiar with each others' work.


The following is from a recent email that one of my eighth-grade boys sent to a female classmate.


“The story was kind of weird and I also don’t know why you always write kissing stories. You should write about different stuff.”


Hey how about this? She’ll write a story without kissing just as soon as you write a story without blowing something up.

No comments:

Post a Comment