Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pick Up Basketball

In the year preceding our departure for Hong Kong, I was playing basketball three mornings a week before work at Willow Creek Church. I miss it.

Here in Hong Kong, a few other teachers and I have managed to throw together the occasional basketball game after school; but it’s been sporadic.

Recently, I heard some rumors that there was some pretty good outdoor pick-up basketball across the river in Shatin. So Sunday, I borrowed a bike and went looking. It took me a few minutes, but sure enough, there were fifty or sixty guys hanging out on four courts. They were playing all three-on-three half court. (In Hong Kong, they almost never play their pick-up games full court.)

I asked a few of the fellows who were standing around about the pick-up games. Games are usually going all day Saturday and Sunday and weekday evenings starting about 4:00. Games are to twenty-one. Twos and threes. Winners stay on the court until they lose.

That’s all good to know fellows, but what I was really hoping for was an invite to join a team.

Nothing.

Then I saw another westerner. I stuck up a conversation and before you know it we had a squad of three and were waiting our turn on court A. It turns out that back in Sweden, Gustav played organized ball at the level just below the Swedish pro team (but then again, didn’t we all?)


I am happy to report that Gustav, Lee, and I went six games straight. We bowed out to take a break, got back in the rotation and then won three more games. So far, my street ball record in Hong Kong is nine wins and zero losses -but with very little of the credit going to me. The last seven month of sporadic exercise has been brutal. My game is rusty and I am out of shape.

Gustav and I exchanged numbers. I’m going to have to give him a call. If I want to keep my Hong Kong winning streak going, I’m going to need somebody on my team who –say- played just below the pro level in Sweden.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment