Monday, March 15, 2010

Hong Kong Disney

This past Friday, we took our eighth-grade class of seventy-five students to Hong Kong Disney for a science field trip. The school chartered two private buses to drive us all to Disney.

After spending an educational day at Disney, students and teachers met up at 3:00 o’clock by the main gate and did a head count. With everyone accounted for we did that uniquely Hong Kong thing: we simply dismissed the kids. Some kids got back on the charter bus, some started making their way home on their own, and some stayed behind in the park for as long as they wanted.

We have done this on several previous field trips, but it still freaks me out every time we do it. My fellow teachers tell me they’ve been doing this for as long as anyone can remember and they haven’t lost a student yet.

Annika and a group of friends decided to stay ay the park until it closed at 8:00 p.m. I hung back just for good measure and called her every so often just to check in.
Annika and her friends thought that a forty-three year dad would kind of cramp their style, so they gave me the slip moments after everyone was dismissed. So I was on my own in the park for several hours. It all worked out okay; although I must confess I felt a little weird when I went on “It’s a Small, Small World” all by myself.

-Jack

Hong Kong Disney is much smaller than the parks in the U.S. It makes for a perfect one-day outing. My only question is, who left Cinderella’s castle out in the rain? It was so tiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment