Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I (still) Do

December 30, 2009

Twenty years ago today, Julie and I were married.

Where did the time go? It seems like just a few years ago that I was a deskie at her dorm at Calvin College and she came to the counter to check out a football.

While still dating, we went to Calvin’s Broene Counceling center to take the Meyers-Brigg temperament test (hey, I had no money and it was a cheap date). The councilor who read the oracle bones –I mean, who interpreted our test results- said that I was the one in the relationship who would have my head in the clouds and would be thinking of what could be. Julie on the other hand would be the one who had her feet squarely planted on terra firma. That councilor could not have been more spot on.

I haven’t always been the easiest guy to live with. Julie is a saint. She is patient, loving, and long-suffering. She is a godly woman. She never ceases to amaze me with her wisdom and her insights.

A few years after we were married, we found ourselves sitting across the table from a very godly man whom we had only known for a few hours. When Julie stepped out of the room for a few minutes, he leaned in and said to me “Young man, you married up.”

Less than an hour later, I made one of the biggest mistakes of my married life. In the car on the way home, I repeated what he had said.

Julie has never let me forget it.

But that’s okay. I couldn’t agree more.

Here’s looking at a twenty more years of love and adventure.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment