Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Picture This

For the past twenty years, at this time of year, I've been busy photo-graphing weddings. Several years ago in August and September -just when school was starting up- I photographed nine weddings in seven weeks. I used to average twenty to 25 weddings a year. My peak year was 48 weddings.

Last fall –even before we started applying for international jobs- I made the decision to retire from professional photography.

At the time, I wondered if I would miss it.

I don’t.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed every single wedding I ever shot; but when it’s time, it’s time.


And it was time. Twenty years and 700+ weddings was a good run.

I actually got started in photography over twenty years ago when -as a recent college grad- I was living and teaching in Japan. I picked up a second-hand camera because I wanted to chronicle my year in East Asia.

When I got back to the States, I started shooting for a living and rarely –if ever- picked up a camera in order to shoot for shooting’s sake.

Now I have packed away the $3,000 professional camera, have picked up a $300, over-the-counter camera, and am having the time of my life.

Back in Asia.

Go figure.

This past weekend, we went to the beach with several other families. Because of my burn wounds I couldn’t frolic in the surf and sun with the rest of the gang. But I happily wandered around this small beach town taking pictures of everything and anything.

I couldn’t have been more content.

It took twenty years, but I feel like I have come full circle with my photography.

-Jack

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But we miss you. As one of the recipients (your favorite client, if I had to guess) of your fine photography skills (on more than one occasion), I have to say that we love you and your photography! Miss you guys, and pray that you're doing well. Love to you and the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey guys- I have been enjoying the blogs-I have to say Jack-shooting a wedding in Chicago was not the same without you last weekend! I was whipped when I got home- I don't know how you did it for 20 years-yikes! I bought a "little" camera and have also been enjoying the it as well-

    ReplyDelete