Friday, August 14, 2009

I’m Eating What?

Last Sunday, our third full day, my across-the-hall neighbor Tony asked if I wanted to join him as he went shopping for some electronics he needed. I had a few things that I needed to pick up and I wanted to scope out DVD players for the apartment. So I said sure.

Now Tony had gotten the word that you could pick up electronics cheap in this one older section of town. Now please realize, dear reader, that Shatin, the section of HK that we live in is rather new and modern as is much of HK –but not all of it. The neighborhood Tony took me to was definitely the older part of town. It’s wasn’t bright and shiny and would never be mistaken for an oversized shopping mall which so much of HK seems to be. There was laundry hanging from every available window on the ten-story buildings. Image if you would, that in addition to all the shops that make up the first floor of every building, there are also homemade, ramshackle booths that appear to be made from found materials postitioned half on the sidewalk and half in the street. On both sides of the street. On every street. As far as the eye could see. With the exception of a few main arteries, all of these streets were closed off to cars. This whole section of town is one big pedestrian walk way.

One booth was selling all used power tools. Another booth was selling nothing but used power cords and adapters for computers and cell phones. Lots of meat hanging in the open air including a few goose heads and necks. Deer antlers seem to be a big seller.

It was noon and Tony suggested we get some food. At this point, I had been in China for over 48 hours, had eaten several meals, but hadn’t gotten close to anything resembling Chinese food. McDonald’s yes. Chinese no.

So when Tony suggested the Happy Together Chinese diner, who was I to say no? Thank goodness for menus with English. Thank goodness for menus with pictures. When the server came, I confidently ordered -by pointing and smiling- my bowl of broth with wide noodles and beef. Pretty safe right?

When it came, I said to Tony that it looked good and that the thin medallions of beef looked tasty, but that I had never seen beef with this particular pattern of wavy marbling. When I had my first chopstick full half way to my mouth, Tony asked “Well, you know what it is don’t you?” Before I could stop him, he answered his own question “It’s cow tongue.”

Cow tongue. I could have done without that piece of information.

But when in Rome . . .

So after a deep breath, I ate up.

I managed to eat about half of the "beef."

The wide noodles were good though.

Maybe eating at McDonalds while you’re in Hong Kong isn’t such a crime after all.


Tony never found the electronics he was looking for.

-Jack

Note to self: its time to start learning Cantonese so I know exactly what I am ordering.

No comments:

Post a Comment