Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Transitioning to Summer part 1 of 2


In violation of my own self-imposed rules for blogging, it is time for a newsy update.


The school year is over. Elise had her fifth-grade graduation ceremony a few days ago. Each fifth-grade teacher identified a character trait that exemplified each child as her or she received his or her diploma. Elise’s teacher recognized Elise for her integrity.

Annika has finished up all her ninth grade exams –passed them all- and has been hanging out with friends non-stop ever since. Most nights I sit down at the dinner table only to realize that Annika’s seat is empty. Again.

The nurse’s office is officially closed for the school year. I am done seeing kids, but I have to finish up writing up my comments that go out to every student on his or her report card.

After students were dismissed at 11:30 on Friday, we had the end-of-the-year banquet for staff at a local hotel. Highlight of the afternoon were the skits, speeches and videos to honor all the teachers who were leaving. This year, we had seven middle school teachers leaving –the perils of an international school. The skits and tributes tend to be pretty funny and border on roasts.

For the seven middle school teachers who are leaving this year, our principal spent the last six or seven weeks going around with his video camera and recording student tributes to the various teachers. They were narrowed down to the 40 or so best clips and then edited into one fourteen-minute presentation. My daughter Annika –as my former student from last year- was part of the video. “He’s funny, he really knows his material, he’s very inspirational. He’s really a great father . . . oh, what? This is supposed to be about Mr. VanNoord? I thought we were talking about Mr. Paine.” Brought the house down. Roasted by my own daughter. I couldn’t be more proud.

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious. Sounds like you've got some pretty amazing girls! Lucky dad.

    ReplyDelete