Thursday, April 21, 2011

ifake part 2 of 2

My friend handed the phone back to the man just long enough to get cash out of his pocket. My friend gave the man the money and the man tucked the phone into my friend's pants pocket, patted it, smiled, and congratulated my friend on his new purchase. My friend pulled his new phone out of his pocket and glanced down at it. When he glanced back up, the man was gone having blended into the crowd.

My friend looked down again at his new iphone. The case was real enough, but instead of the iphone he had just been examining a moment early, in the case was a worthless, plastic display phone.


In the few seconds it had taken my friend to hand over his money, the man had performed a slight of hand and had switched phones.

As much as it stung, my friend was telling the story pretty freely on Monday morning at work. When I asked him if he kept the plastic phone as a prop to go with his tale of woe, he said no. He was so disgusted with himself that he gave it to his buddy Andy and told him to give it to his kids as a toy.

The hustler got hustled.

Well, at least my friend’s instinct was right on one account: the phone he’d been examining was in fact a real iphone.


It’s just too bad it wasn’t the one he walked away with.


-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment