Friday, February 18, 2011

A Request

Because I teach middle school, it’s not uncommon for my student’s parents to ask me for book recommendations.

But I am also a bit of a movie buff. Apparently, word has leaked out that I keep a data base listing every movie I have ever seen (843 and counting) listing the stars, the genre, giving each movie a letter grade, and a fifteen-word review.

I am such a nerd.

Last week, I bumped into Heinrich's mom at the middle school choir concert.

Heinrich is a voracious reader. He has read more in his fourteen years than I have in my forty-four. So, I would have been prepared for her to ask me some book recommendations.

But she caught me off guard, when she said “My son reads so much, but I can never get him to watch any movies. Can you recommend some movies that a fourteen-year-old boy might like?”

I promised to email her a half a dozen movies or so.

Wow, I was actually nervous. It was a tall order. With six or eight movies, I had a chance to hook a highly intelligent fourteen-year-old boy on the magic of cinema and the joys of celluloid story telling.

Which movies to choose? So many to pick from. Which ones to recommend? I spent half an hour scrolling through my database.

Finally, I emailed Heinrich’s mom my list that including The Count of Monte Cristo, Braveheart, The Sting, and The Truman Show.

Which movies did I overlook? Which movies would you have recommended for a fourteen-year-old boy living in Hong Kong attending an American school?

No comments:

Post a Comment