Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Piano Teacher

When Aunt Julie was here in November, she gave me a book as a way to say thank you for hosting her. I was very excited, looked it over several times, set it on the pile of books next to my bed, and then promptly forgot about it.

Early this week, I was discussing books with a one of my fellow teachers while eating lunch. She mentioned that she and her book club were reading The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee a story set in Hong Kong during and after the Second World War. It sounded really intriguing. I made a mental note to track down a copy.

That night –having recently finished Tai Pan by James Clavell- I was looking to start another book. I cleared away an old church bulletin and an old Reader’s Digest that my mother had sent in her Christmas care package and I grabbed the next book from the top of my bedside stack.

Lo and behold, there was The Piano Teacher. What a pleasant surprise.

I couldn’t put it down for three days. I just spent the better part of a lazy Saturday morning finishing it. It was excellent.

It chronicles the life of an Englishman recently arrived in Hong Kong and a local Chinese socialite. The novel begins shortly before the Japanese occupy Hong Kong during World War II. The story reveals how each of the characters adapts in order to survive when the social order they know is turned on its head.

The book was thoroughly researched and does a phenomenal job of capturing the vibe of life in Hong Kong during the height of its colonial hey days in the months leading up to Japanese occupation.

The young socialite, Trudy –who is actually Eurasian- is one of the more memorable characters I have read.

Plus, it was just a lot of fun to read about all the Hong Kong sites and locations that we as a family have gotten to know: picnics at Big Wave Bay, wet markets in Wan Chai, dai pai dong eateries scattered everywhere.

Whether you've lived in Hong Kong all your life or have never been before, if you are interested in a piece of fiction that perfectly captures the essence of Hong Kong –albeit 60 years ago- you can’t do much better than picking up a copy of The Piano Teacher.

-Jack

Note: While the author handles it all deftly and subtly, this is not an all-ages book. It contains the compromises and choices adults make during tumultuous times.

No comments:

Post a Comment