Saturday, June 19, 2010

Pssst. Hey Mister, Yeah, Over Here.

Tuesday, the girls and I spent the day at Ocean Park –Hong Kong’s answer to Six Flags Great America.

It was there that I had one of the biggest thrills I’ve had since I have been in Hong Kong. And we hadn’t even entered the park yet.

Over two months ago, Julie bought us four tickets with the expectation that we would use them as a family right after school let out. But things change. Obviously Julie couldn’t attend considering she was back in Chicago. This left us with one extra ticket that I did not want to waste. I had suggested to the girls that one of them invite a friend, but nothing became of that.

So there we were outside of the entrance to Ocean Park and I was determined to unload this $28 ticket. I instructed the girls to stay close. I figured the cute-gweilo girl factor could only help. Besides, this was a chance for the girls to learn some good life skills from their old man. Girls, I am about to teach you the stuff they don’t teach you in school. Stick close and see how it’s done.

But the girls wanted nothing to do with this cockamamie plan. They promptly retreated to a distant bench.

Granted, I had never done this before, but I had studied with the best of them. I spent my fair share of time on the corner of Michigan and Trumble Avenues as my Dad scored us cut-rate Detroit Tiger tickets. To be honest, I’m not sure what he enjoyed more; watching the game or hustling those tickets.

While keeping one eye peeled for security, I sidled up to one group of park-goers and asked if they needed a ticket. Shoot, they speak no English. My first attempt and I pick Mainlanders.

Then I approached some gweilos, but they already had tickets.

I approached two young women, but then I got cold feet. I am afraid that they are going to think that I am Creepy Man.

Skirting the law; engaging in grey market commerce. I felt like I was driving without a road map; flying without a safety net. I haven’t had this big of a thrill since we tee-pee-d Matt Algate’s house in tenth-grade.

Man, am I living life on the edge.

Finally, on my seventh or eighth try, I hit. It was a young Chinese Hong Konger and his two female friends. When I approached him, he said he was planning on getting his ticket at the counter. Ah yes, I told him, but with me, you’re gonna get it cheaper. Face value, it was $28. How much, he asked. $22.

And with that, we traded money for the ticket.

Girls, that is how we roll in Detroit City.

Watch and learn, ladies, watch and learn.

Man after that adrenaline rush, The Dragon rollercoaster with its three loops and a corkscrew is going to feel like child’s play.

No comments:

Post a Comment