Thursday, March 11, 2010

Bubble Tea

The first week of school, I gave my students a get-to-know you survey asking them about their favorite t.v. shows, vacation spots, sports and what-not. One of my students said that one of her hobbies was drinking bubble tea. That got my attention.

I asked around and students’ explanations did nothing to help me understand. Something about cold tea with little balls in the bottom.

Eventually Annika and Elise caught wind of the joys of bubble tea, but it still took us a while before we all had one.

It’s basically a thin fruit drink with plenty of ice. Although many recipes forego the tea, strictly speak, bubble tea is made with a tea base. Milk is frequently added. The thing that makes bubble tea distinctive are the black tapioca balls in the bottom of the cup.

Bubble tea is generally served in a plastic cup with a wider-than-usual straw so that you can suck up the tapioca balls.

The tapioca balls are chewy and not really all the flavorful. But they sure are a fun ending to your bubble tea experience.

Annika and Elise go a little gaga over bubble tea. I can pretty much get them to do whatever I want if I bribe them a bubble tea.

“Hey girls, came wander around Tai Wai with me for an hour.”

“Nah”

“Come on, it’ll be fun.”

“No it won’t. It’ll be boring.”

“I’ll buy you each a bubble tea.”

“I’ll get the lift!”

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment