Sunday, January 31, 2010

Your Own Private Idaho

One of the cool things about living on the seventh floor of the school is that we have a really short commute. But there are more benefits that just that. We are a bit of a self contained community here. A guy could go for days –or an entire week- without leaving the building.

In fact, I have.

We have our very own on-site restaurant that serves breakfast and lunch (okay, okay, it’s the school cafeteria). We have our own tech service department (I.T. support), We have access to a fully equipped fitness center and swimming pool. We have not one, but two full-size gyms for the occasional pick-up basketball game when we can get enough guys together.

We can also take in the weekend’s entertainments without leaving the building. The school has a state-of-the-art theater that seats 500 people. So far, Julie, the girls and I have watched a middle school band and choral concerts, a high school production of Godspell, a Christmas woodwind concert made up of all teachers, and a high school production of A Christmas Carol.

Most recently, we watched a middle school production of The Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged.

I’m guessing that when May rolls around, I will be ready to move off campus, but I am going to kind of miss living in my own personal microcosm.

It’s kind of like living on a cruise ship without the ocean view or the seasickness or the midnight buffet. Or the Las Vegas-style revue. Okay, it’s nothing like living on a cruise ship, but I’m enjoying it none-the-less.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment