Monday, January 18, 2010

Avatar

Just in case you have been living under a rock for the last four weeks there is a movie now in theaters called Avatar about tall blue people living on a distant planet. Humans show up. Mayhem ensues. The all-white, English-speaking humans take advantage of the nature-loving indigenous people for financial gain.

It is the most expensive movie ever made (one-third of a billion dollars) and is on pace to be the most successful movie ever made (a billion dollars and counting).

I saw it Friday night.

My review?

Once you get past the re-tread dialog; the flat, stereotypical characters; the thinly veiled indictment of western civilization; the patronizing, overly-romanticized treatment of indigenous peoples; the untenable racism; the not-very-original and highly-predictable storyline; and the so-so acting; it’s a really, really great movie!

The special effects are very, very cool. I am glad that I paid the extra money to see it in 3-D. The world of Pandora is truly awesome and like nothing ever put on film before.

My recommendation? Go see it. The bigger the screen, the better. But be forewarned, it’s really not a very good piece of storytelling. But those state-of-the-art, cutting-edge special effects sure are cool.

-Jack

2 comments:

  1. I saw it today, and I agree, for the most part.
    It was extremely overrated, and far too long, but there were some parts that were pretty cool. I think that it will probably be one of those movies that people look back on as something that changed movies, because of all of the special effects and insane money that was spent.
    ..Unfortunately. It really wan't worth all of the fuss. I found myself checking my phone for the time every few minutes toward the end.
    But yeah. It's worth seeing at least once, if only for all of the effects.

    ReplyDelete