Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Mushan part 2

The paths of Mushan are paved, but they’re barely wide enough to get a car down, which is probably okay because by the end of my hour-long walk, I had seen just one car.

Mixed in among all the old brick houses of Mushan are much newer buildings. Some of the village farmers are apparently building themselves new houses. In this village of 600 people, there are a couple dozen of these new houses which all seem to be three stories high and made from poured cement. It’s good to know that China’s new-found prosperity is reaching the rural areas as well.

I noticed that only half of these new buildings are finished and occupied. Half of them are in varying stages of completion. The farmers work on them as they have the money. They stop when cash runs low and then resume when money comes in.

As the sky got brighter, the farmers on the foot path were replaced by small clusters of children making their way to school.

In fact, it’s about time for my students to be waking up.

On my way out of the village and back to the inn, I passed a man going down the path with three water buffalo and a cart. One of the buffalo was being particularly obstinate. He paused for a moment to tie the misbehaving buffalo to the back of the cart. It was too much to resist. Our group’s guide and translator Cindy, who is from this area, had told me that it’s okay to take pictures of the locals, but they expect a yuan or two in return.

I fumble through my wallet. The smallest bill I have is a twenty yuan. But hey, it’s guy with three slow-moving water buffalo and home-made cart for Pete’s sake.
I gesture to my camera. I hold up the money. He nods. I pay. I casually start taking a few pictures. I have to slow down to keep pace with the water buffalo.

Just as I am about ready to finish up, a fellow villager walks by. It’s obvious they know each other. I don’t speak a word of Mandrin, but based on their tone, gestures and the big grin on Cart Dude’s face, I’m pretty sure the conversation went something like this.

“Hey Zhì Míng, getting your picture taken by another one of those foreign devils.”
“Laugh all you want Xiū Bó, this nut-job just spotted me twenty yuan for half a dozen pictures.”

“Twenty yuan! Maybe you should go into full-time modeling.”

“It’s about time I finally made some money off of these good-for-nothing water buffalo.”

“See you later. By the way, you’re buying the drinks tonight.”

Twenty yuan is about US$3.00

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment