Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Best Meal She (n)Ever Ate

Maybe it was the fact that I was hungry after the climb to the top of Moon Rock, or maybe it was the fresh country air, but the restaurant food that we were eating at the foot of the mountain was among the best Chinese food I’ve ever had. Deep-fried eggplant, lemon chicken, spring rolls, a couple of things that I couldn’t identify but couldn’t stop eating. It was family-style and I had to keep asking the students and teachers at my table to pass the sticky buns.

Mmmm. So good. How are Chinese people not all rotund when the food is this good? Man, my students were lucky. Of all the trips they could have signed up for, I bet none has food this good.

I pushed myself away from the table long enough to see how the kids at the other table were doing. Just as I was about to ask them how they were enjoying this mid-day feast, I saw Vanessa go into her back pack, open a box of granola bars, and distribute them to her friends.

You’ve got to be kidding me.

“Mr. VanNoord, American people always want to eat Chinese food, and Chinese people always want to eat American food.”

Too true, Vanessa. Too true.

-Jack

Picture: Two minutes after we sat down, these five ladies started bringing us dish after dish of food. The didn't stop for the next half hour. I love the coordinating, happy "Hello, Bunny" aprons.

No comments:

Post a Comment