Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Incredible Shrinking City

Is it just me or is Hong Kong shrinking?

When we first moved here, Gostick our guardian angel from human resources took us to the bank which was a fifteen-minute walk. It seemed twisty and turn-y. Julie and I wondered if we would ever be able to find our way here in the future.

Sure enough, a week later when Julie had to get back to the bank, she got herself turned around and what should have been a fifteen-minute walk, took forty minutes.

The mall that the bank is in a two-story square with a courtyard in the middle. Our first time there, I stood in the middle of the plaza and spun around trying to orientate myself for future reference. I remember feeling completely overwhelmed and unable to get my bearings. This place was a maze.

That was eight weeks ago.

My, what a difference two months makes. Last week, we were back at this same mall. As we walked out I glanced up and realized that if you look between two tall apartment buildings, you can actually see our school building from the mall.
It’s that close.

That mind-boggling plaza? It’s a little bigger than a pair of tennis courts.

These days, we think nothing of taking a quick walk down to this plaza for a McDonalds ice cream cone after dinner.

Either Hong Kong is shrinking or we’re finally starting to get the hang of things around here.

-Jack

Picture: in Hong Kong, people seem to use their umbrella to protect themselves from the sun as much as the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment