Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hey, C. Everett Koop, Check this Out

When the US Surgeon General first required tobacco companies to print a warning on every pack of cigarettes, it read “Smoking may be hazardous to your health.” A few years later, the message was upgraded to “Smoking is hazardous to your health.” Since then, the warning has become even more dire.

Hong Kong has taken the whole idea of product warning labels one step further. Not only are tobacco companies here required to print a written warning on every pack of cigarettes, they are required to print a picture of the potential outcomes of smoking. So far, I’ve seen pictures of a foot with peripheral vascular disease, x-ray pictures of cancer-riddled lungs, and a face with cancerous tumors.

Apparently, this form of deterrence works.

I haven’t had a single cigarette since I’ve been here.

-Jack

By the way, I’m under strict orders from my wife not to pick up any more discarded cigarette boxes from the gutter.

I guess, I’ll have to go back to collecting restaurant placemats.

No comments:

Post a Comment