Monday, September 28, 2009

Let me Explain Your Heritage to You

I thought that distilling and presenting American history to a room full of Chinese Hong Kong students presented a challenge. But it turns out that teaching American history was just a prelude to the tightrope of teaching Chinese history to a roomful of Chinese Hong Kong students.

In my English classes, we are reading DragonWings an historical fiction novel that chronicles the immigration of a Chinese man and his adolescent son from China to San Francisco in 1903.

On one hand, I don’t want to assume that my students are well-versed in all things Chinese. On the other hand, I don’t want to appear as though I think I know more about the Chinese experience than they do.

Kids, when our book takes place, the emperor was a Manchu, which is why Uncle doesn’t like him. But you all already knew that of course, right?

The Boxer Rebellion was a movement in 1901 to expel Westerners from China. It’s a fairly important event in Chinese history –or at least I think so. In a reading I had put together, I’d made reference to the Boxer Rebellion assuming the kids all knew what that was. This morning, I had half-a-dozen kids ask me “What’s the Boxer Rebellion.”

Well kid, pull up a chair and let me tell you what I know about your Chinese heritage.

It’s a tricky balancing act.

I’ve been alive three times longer than they have and I am the teacher and I am better read than they are. (Well at least most of them.)

Then again, they are the ones who are Chinese.

I guess we’re going to have to figure this out as we go along and extend a lot of grace to one another in the process.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment