Saturday, May 21, 2011

I Can’t Believe You Just did That part 1 of 3

My wife, she's a regular Lucille Ball.

My sister and niece were in town and we had taken them up to The Peak. Our girls were with us and our friend David from Chicago was in town again so he was tagging along.


I love to bring people up to The Peak in the late afternoon so that they can see the view of Victoria Harbor both by day and by night. It’s pretty awesome to see daylight give way to dusk and watch all the lights slowly come on in the city below. It’s pretty magical. And if you take a twenty minute walk west along The Peak path you will have the best possible vantage point from which to watch the city sparkle to life. The only problem is that the vegetation is so thick along the path that there are only certain areas where you can stand against the rail and enjoy a decent view.

Our motley group had found a pretty decent spot, but I thought I remembered a better spot just a few more minutes up the path. I told the others that I was going to scout ahead. The adults decided to walk ahead with me, but he girls complained that they were tired. I told them to stay put and promised I would come back to get them if we found a better viewing spot.

Sure enough, two minutes down the path, we found an even better spot. I prepared to go retrieve the kids.

Earlier that day, we had been strolling along Hollywood Road in Central. I had found a little shop that sold reproduction propaganda posters from the Chinese Cultural Revolution. They were pretty affordable and I had bought myself four of them for my classroom back in Chicago. I was pretty excited about them. So much so that I had proudly unrolled them in the middle of Starbucks to show them off shortly after I had purchased them. And then I had carefully rolled them back up.

When I offered to go back and get the girls, I set my backpack at Julie’s feet who was leaning against the railing and enjoying the view. I asked her to also hold my posters for me and handed them to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment