Sunday, June 5, 2011

White Baby part 2 of 2

“That’s right folks, we got yer White Baby, right here. Step right up. Uh-huh, it’s a genuine White Baby.” While none of the women could understand what I was saying, they knew I was talking to them, and that’s all they needed. The unspoken social barrier had been broken. Implicit permission had been granted. Several women approach Amber and Malachi.

I couldn’t switch my camera to video mode fast enough.

Malachi was swarmed. In the melee, I‘m pretty sure I heard Amber mumble “I feel so exploited.”

“I’m so sorry Amber!” I said over the din, “But I’m getting the best video footage of the weekend!”

Women were squatting down in front of Malachi each one of them engage in goofy antics trying to get his attention.

My buddy Tim –speaking Chinese- had to step in and tell the women “You can look, but don’t touch.”

Some of the women decided that it was a two-for-one opportunity, so after ogling Malachi, they came over and sat on the bench next to Julie -who was on the other side of me- to get their picture taken.

I kept panning back and forth between the two of them with my video camera.

Finally, our kids finished with their final ride, ran up to us, and we were able to make our escape.

I tried to make it up to Amber later that night on the way home. I held Malachi for an hour and rocked him to sleep while she ate her dinner. I still don’t think she has forgiven me.

Hey, it’s not my fault. I couldn’t help myself.

Man, it’s a wonder I have any friends.

Jack

I am so uncouth. Maybe the American Lumberjack Show! wasn’t so far off the mark after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment