Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ambushed part 1 of 2

Recently, we were honored to be invited to have a traditional family dinner at some Chinese friends’ house. We felt like v.i.p. guests the way that we were treated so hospitably. It was a great night of food and fellowship.

At about 9:30, just as we were finishing up dinner, the delightful Uncle Bohai pushed his chair back from the table, looked at me, and asked “So, what do you think of George Bush.”

AmBushed.

Didn’t see that coming. Deep breath. Pause to collect my thoughts. Okay, let’s do this. An hour and a half later, we wrapped up what had been a lively, invigorating, and always-respectful conversation. We left as friends.

But it was a workout. It was a narrow road I was treading. I didn’t want to put myself in the position of being an apologist for the previous administration, but I also didn’t want to leave uncontested some of the assertions Uncle BoHai was putting on the table.

In fact, I agreed with some of the critisms Uncle BoHai was offering. But it reminded me of being in elementary school when I reserved the right to mercilessly pick on my sister. But the minute I heard somebody on the playground picking on her, my fraternal instincts kicked in and the gloves came off. I found myself being a little more defensive in my conversation with Uncle BoHai than I would have been if I were on my home turf chatting up a fellow American.

Hey, that’s my guy you’re talking about there.

When it comes to international sports, breaking bad on the Bush administration seems to be second only to soccer in popularity around the globe. It isn't a daily occurance, but in my two years abroad, I have regularyly found myself the sounding board for some anti-Bush rhetoric.

No comments:

Post a Comment