Monday, February 21, 2011

Obamao

I see these t-shirts in the open-air markets not only in Hong Kong, but pretty much everywhere I've been in Southeast Asia.

Because Obama is sporting the uniform of the Chinese revolutionary guard, I assume they originated in China. I think there is supposed to be a political statement embedded in here somewhere but I hesitate to even try to figure out what it might be. I can't tell if the makers are offering a critique of Obama or embracing him as one of their own.

Somebody must be buying them because I see them displayed everywhere, but I haven't actually seen anybody wearing one until I saw this guy at the border crossing between Cambodia and Thailand. I couldn't help but wonder if he was an American or not.

And no, I haven't bought myself one.

No comments:

Post a Comment