Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our Most Recent Outing part 2 of 2

When appropriate, I like to share anecdotes from my own life. One, it lets the kids know I am human (and not just a paper grading machine) and two, it lets my students know these issues have real-life application. So I briefly shared my own need to demonstrate love, patience, and grace when it became evident several years ago that one of Julie’s adult nephews was gay.

I was two sentences into my little monologue when I saw twenty-four sets of eyes swing toward the center of the classroom and come to rest on a certain fourteen-year-old blonde. She was frozen in her seat. Suddenly, in the middle of my lesson I remembered that there was something that I had been meaning to do. What was it? Change the oil in the car? Get those pants hemmed? Oh yeah, now I remember: bring Annika up to speed on her cousin’s sexual orientation.

Yup, I had just outed my nephew to my daughter in front of twenty-four of her nearest and dearest friends.

It was just a teensy bit awkward. While I was busy looking for the rewind button, Annika was looking for that elusive hole in the ground.

I realized that I hadn’t referred to my nephew by name and I could see that Annika was mentally scrolling through her long list of cousins. So across the crowded classroom I stage whispered my nephew’s name. It didn’t appear to clear up any of her confusion and bewilderment.

Her fellow classmates starting “oh”-ing as they watched this little mini-family drama unfold in the middle of first period on a Thursday morning.

This was a conversation that I had been meaning to have with Annika. I just never imagined it unfolding quite like this.

I’m pretty sure she didn’t either.

Oops.

That’s what I get for trying to function on five hours sleep.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment