Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our Most Recent Outing part 1 of 2

(posted with permission)

Annika is in my literature class. For the first week of school it was a little weird but then we settled into a routine and it hasn’t really been a big deal.

Until last Thursday, that is.

First, that morning was the last day of our human sexuality unit in my small advisory group. We briefly touched on issues surrounding same-sex attraction. I concluded our small-group advisory time together by reminding students that we want to emulate Jesus by loving and showing grace to all people in our lives no matter what journey they are on.

Then, during first-period literature, my students and I continued our study of “Night” by Elie Wiesel, a Jewish Holocaust survivor. Hitler, of course, targeted not only Jews, but Roma (gypsies), homosexuals, the handicapped, and communists.

I'm always looking for opportunities to tie together various parts of the curriculum. Because the topics overlapped, I used the opportunity to share with this group of students what I had said to my advisory students earlier: no matter our politics or theology- we are to fully love the people in our lives as Jesus modeled for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment