Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wearing His Uncles Jersey

I don’t remember the first day of my first year of teaching. But I do remember the first day of my second year of teacher. I remember walking down the halls and thinking “Oh yeah, former students. This is cool.”

It seems obvious now, but I was so busy getting geared up for the new school year that I forgot to realize that I would have the joy of seeing my former students in the halls and in the cafeteria throughout the year.

But even better than seeing my former students return three months later, is being able to keep in contact with them over the years. You get to find out that -yes, they do in fact eventually grow up. (Because to be honest, when I have them in class, there are always a few that I worry about.)

But sometimes I don’t have to wait until they come back from college to see the growth. Sometimes the maturation seems to happen virtually overnight.

Nick was out last Monday. Sadly, he had to attend the funeral of his thirty-something-year-old uncle. His mom emailed me to give me the heads up regarding Nick’s absence. When I e-mailed my condolences to her on the loss of her brother, I received the following email back from her several days after the funeral.

Nick is thirteen.

(reprinted with permission)

“The service was amazing. Over 250 people attended live, and more via webcast. Nick read a speech written by my brother's best friend from high school. Nick was so composed and delivered the message so well. Everyone, surely including his beloved uncle, was very proud of him."

“Did he tell you my brother had his own basketball team -"Poison Dragon"- and the team plays in a local league? My brother was supposed to lead the team in its 4th game this past Saturday night, the night of his wake. Nick asked if he could play. He did, wearing my brother's jersey, and Nick even scored! All the other players -my brother's 30-something buddies- said Nick held his own and played a solid game."

"Nick has learned so much about my brother through interacting with and hearing stories about him from his friends; stories about love, friendship, loyalty, hard work, determination, selflessness, giving, encouragement, leadership, confidence, perseverance, and right vs. wrong.”

“I have seen a remarkable change and maturation in Nick this past week. It's like he has snapped out of his ‘teenager angst’ and ‘me, myself, I’ mode into a much more considerate and compassionate person. I always knew that those qualities were in him, but it's as if he had chosen to hide them. Now they have been ‘activated’ and I pray that he will use them consistently and constantly.”

“Thank you and blessings. Ronna"


Nick, I am sorry once again for your loss. I am proud to be your teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment