Monday, January 25, 2010

Treason on the High Seas part 1 of 3

Beware the colleague who starts a Monday morning conversation with “Hey, you look like a sailor.”

We are here in Hong Kong to experience new things, so when opportunities come along, I‘m inclined to say yes. I probably should have asked a few more clarifying questions before I signed on. I began second-guessing my decision when I started mentioning to various guys at work that I was doing the “Four Peak Race.” They would just laugh and walk away.

Michael hadn’t made it sound like that big of a deal. Sure it was 24 hours. Sure we were supposed to stop at four different locations and hike (okay, run) up four daunting peaks. But it sounded like fun. Right? Daughin was going to be bringing his guitar. We would be cooking all our meals on board the boat. We would be sailing with seven of us total, so we could alternate sailing the boat and sleeping in the cabin. Me, the fellas, a boat, and the open seas. What’s there not to like?

My co-workers in the Middle School were actually really helpful (once they got done laughing, that is). One guy loaned me a head lamp for the night runs. Another guy loaned me water proof shoes. A third guy loaned me long-johns and wool socks. They were being so helpful that I was beginning to think they had formed a lets-do-what-we-can-to bring-Jack-back-home-alive committee.

Steve has owned his boat “The Koala” for twenty years. When he first bought it as a young school teacher here in Hong Kong, he actually lived on it for several years. The school at which he taught at that time was on the coast, and there were times when he would actually sail to school.

“The Koala” is fifty years old. It was built here in Hong Kong based on plans by a famed British boat designer. It is all wood including the boom.

The Four Peak race works with a handicapping system based a boat’s past performance, but none-the-less, we were a long shot. We would be sailing in a boat that somehow managed to be both the smallest and the heaviest boat in the race. Needless to say, we were also sailing in the oldest boat.

Everything was great for the first couple of hours.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment