Saturday, May 14, 2011

Ellie Enchanted part 1 of 3

It’s pretty exciting when we have out-of-town guests come to visit and we get to introduce them to our adopted hometown. But I was extra excited as I waited for my kid sister Janna and her sixteen-year-old daughter Ellie to arrive. It had been on the calendar for almost a year, and I was pretty jazzed when I went to meet them at the airport.

But, I was also a bit nervous. Not because of my sister –I knew that she’d enjoy herself no matter what- but because of my niece. I had high expectations for her time in here. Hong Kong is a pretty awesome city with a little something for everybody and it doesn’t really require a hard-core sales presentation from me to win people over. But with that said, I was really hoping that my niece would get bitten by the same bug that had gotten a hold of me.


Ellie is a very intelligent teen, she’s well read, and she tends to hang out with a pretty diverse crowd at school. So I knew that the potential was there. On the other hand, she is a teenager. And a girl none-the-less. How was I supposed to figure out which parts of Hong Kong would capture here imagination and make her fall in love with this city?

I figured that there was going to be some shopping involved. A lot of shopping, probably. Hong Kong is famous for both its high-end and its discount shopping. This made me even more nervous. I have uncovered a lot of the secrets that this city holds, but shopping is one thing I know next to nothing about.

Fortunately, the success of Ellie’s trip wasn’t falling entirely on my shoulders; team VanNoord was on the task. Operation Win Ellie Over was underway.

No comments:

Post a Comment