Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Black and White and Read All Over

My nightstand.

Apparently, I'm only allowed to read red books these days.

When we made our decision to return to The States, I was in the midst of reading a novel set in Greece and Turkey. Realizing that I only had a few months left to soak up as much of China as I can, I thought that was kind of silly.

I committed myself to only read books about or novels set in China until I leave.

That explains why all my books are red. Evidently, if you publish a book about China, the cover has to be red.


If I ever write a book about China, the cover is going to be fuscia and aquamarine.

The book on top of my stack is Mao Zedong's Little Red Book. I'm not really reading it. I picked it up from the freecycle table at work to keep as an artifact for my social studies classroom back in The States. It has been floating around our bedroom for the past few weeks. I read a few pages, but it is just really bad, dated propoganda. Denounce the imperialistic, capitalist reactionaries!

When I am back Stateside, I think that I might have to go on diet from all things China -including books. It will be refreshing to read a book with a green cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment