Sunday, October 4, 2009

Gotcha!

A few weeks ago, Julie and I had the chance to see the Hong Kong skyline at night. It was impressive. Saturday evening we had the chance to bring the girls down. Along the waterfront is the Avenue of Stars. It’s kind of Hong Kong’s answer to Hollywood’s Walk of Stars. Every twenty feet embedded into the sidewalk is a bronze star with the hand prints of some famous Hong Kong actor.

Being the tourist-y destination that it is, it was crowded with people from far and near. Lots of people gawking and taking pictures. I was hoping to find the Bruce Lee star but was doubtful because it was dark and there were so many people. I shouldn’t have worried. It was easy to spot. It was the one with all the people crowded around it waiting to get their picture taken with it.

Yes, I got my picture taken with Bruce Lee’s star and yes, I also got my picture taken in front of his statue. I’m such a tourist. In fact, it was while Julie was busy taking my picture in front of the Master of the Martial Arts, that a middle-age Chinese women tapped Elise on the shoulder and pointed to her camera. At first Elise thought the lady was asking Elise to take a picture for her. But before Elise knew what was going on, the lady saddled up next to her, put her arm around Elise, and had her friend take a picture of her with Elise.

And then –poof- the two women disappeared into the crowd.

Wow. What was that all about?

We’re just going to go ahead and assume those were tourists from the mainland who haven’t seen their quota of blonde-haired nine-year-old girls. I guess Elise should be flattered in a strange sort of way.

It was all over before I even knew what was happening.

Bruce Lee of course would have had a much quicker reaction time.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment