Monday, September 21, 2009

Choco

The Hong Kong weather bureau just announced that this August was the hottest on record. We do a lot of walking in this heat. To cool down and to reward the girls for their long suffering, we've been known to stop at McDonald's for cheap icecream cones.

Sunday, I really wanted the vanilla ice cream cone with the raspberry swirls but the picture menu behind the counter was just out of reach and the Cantonese word for raspberry was escaping me at the moment. (As I ever knew the Cantonese word for raspberry. I don’t even know the Cantonese word for hello.) After two failed attempts to communicate what I wanted, I figured it was easier to just change my order.

I went with the selection that everyone in Asia seems to understand.

Choco.

You thought money was the universal language. It’s not, it’s chocolate. I may not know what 秦 means, but I do understand what Choco is.

Better safe than sorry. If you’re not careful around here, you might get stuck with a green bean popsicle.

We’ve been eating a lot of chocolate-flavored stuff lately.

-Jack

No comments:

Post a Comment